Table of Contents Hide
- The Origins of Jamaican Blue Mountain
- What does Jamaican Blue Mountain Taste Like?
- Why is it so expensive?
- Seal of Approval
- Where Can I Buy Jamaican Blue Mountain?
Jamaican Blue Mountain or Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is known to be classified as one of the rarest and expensive coffees produced in the world. It has gained tremendous popularity due to its limited access and high demand. With these factors in mind, coming across an authentic bag of 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain can be quite challenging.
The Origins of Jamaican Blue Mountain
In the year 1728, Sir Nicholas Lawes the previous governor of Jamaica planted the first coffee seed. While the country of Jamaica is known for many great things, their coffee is usually missed and never acknowledged. Rated #45 on a list of top coffee-producing countries, they produce an approximate of 2,777,000 pounds of coffee each year. This is quite low when you’re comparing it to Brazil which is ranked number one with an approximate of 5,714,381,000 each year. (1)
Jamaica’s warm and humid climate is perfect for growing coffee, especially Arabica coffee beans which make up Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. The Blue Mountains where this coffee is cultivated is between Kingston and Port Antonio. They are considered to be the highest mountains in the Caribbean, rising to about 2,256 metres (7,402 ft). These mountains are rich in soil and provide excellent drainage. The mountain’s environment is misty and cool with high rainfall making it perfect for coffee cultivation.
There are many regulations and classifications when it comes to Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. First off, the coffee is a globally protected certification mark. This means that this coffee can only be labelled “Blue Mountain Coffee” by the Coffee Industry Board of Jamaica. Since this coffee is grown in a recognized coffee region it is carefully monitored by the board during cultivation. With the board having control over the use of the Blue Mountain Label, coffee must be harvested within the parishes of Saint Thomas, Saint Andrew, Saint Mary and Portland to be labelled as “Blue Mountain Coffee” (2)
Jamaican Mountain Coffee is grown at various elevations:
- Blue Mountain is grown at 910-1,700 metres (3,000-5,500ft).
- High Mountain is grown at 460-910 metres (1,500-3,000ft).
- Low Mountain (Jamaica Supreme) is grown below 460 metres(1,500ft)
What does Jamaican Blue Mountain Taste Like?
Jamaican Blue Mountain is very smooth, clean and vibrant that has barely any bitterness. The aromas are sweet and very floral with a taste that contains cocoa, spices and nuts, finishing off with a slight creaminess. The mixture of all these profiles work extremely well together and give the drinker an experience that has them wanting more.
Why is it so expensive?
There are many things to consider why the value of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is so high. One of the major reasons is labour. While the majority of the world’s coffee is grown on flat land, JBM is grown on top of a mountain ridge. This requires much more labour than a regular harvest and is a lot more dangerous.
The second reason is that JBM coffee isn’t produced in large quantities. With just under 3 million pounds of coffee being produced by Jamaica each year, makes it a small fraction of what other countries are producing each season. Considering that not all the coffee Jamaica is producing is JBM, makes it a really small number.
Due to the success of JBM in the Japanese market, 80% of the coffee is exported to Japan, leaving only 20% for the rest of the world. Now, with such a high demand for JBM, many producers will say their products might be a blend of JBM or might claim 100% JBM. So how do you know if what you’re buying is the real deal?
Seal of Approval
The Jamaica Agricultural Commodities Regulatory Authority takes the authenticity of JBM very seriously. As a producer of JBM it is required that every batch is certified with a 100% JBM authenticity seal. Some coffee companies like to use JBM as a blend with other coffee mixtures, in these cases the coffee company would state it’s a blend and most likely only use a small percentage of JBM. Although there is nothing wrong with a blend, if you’re looking to experience Jamaican Blue Mountain to the fullest, then a 100% seal of approval would be highly recommended.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when looking for an authentic bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain:
Examine the packaging – Take a good look at the packaging of the coffee and check where the coffee has been grown, roasted and packaged. If it’s not from the island of Jamaica, then its most likely not authentic.
Look for the Seal of Approval – Every authentic bag of JBM has a seal of approval on it. This is a seal that has been certified by the Coffee Industry Board of Jamaica. If you see this, you’re in good hands.
Where Can I Buy Jamaican Blue Mountain?
I have gathered a selection of some of the best JBM that you can buy online. Some of these carry a 100% Authenticity Seal, while others are great blends. If money is no option, I highly recommend checking out some of the 100% JBM!
Certified by the Coffee Industry Board of Jamaica this JBM coffee is 100% authentic. This medium roast is packed with prominent fruit flavors, low acidity and an unforgettable aroma that will have you brewing this coffee more than once a day. The taste is clean and has a noticeable sweetness. The cupping notes for this brew are described as soft and sweet with floral, orange and sharp buttery notes. The flavor notes are described as orange peel and chocolate, with an emerging slight mint note as the coffee cools. Clean finish. Check them out here.
- 100% Pure Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Certified by the Jamaica Agricultural Department for a pure authentic taste.
- The most prized coffee in the world with balance, prominent fruit flavors, acidity and provides all the satisfaction one could want with a strong and intense aroma.
- Medium roasted whole beans allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a remarkable taste.
- Fresh roasted then immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed.
This “Espresso Lion” JBM Blend is a mixture of JBM with gourmet varietals from Papua New Guinea and Central America. This dark French roast Signature Espresso Blend offers a rich and smooth robust flavor that is steeped with chocolaty and buttery undertones and is mild in acidity. Check them out here.
- Blend of Jamaican blue mountain, Papua new guinea and coffee varietals from central America
- Signature espresso blend
- Medium acidity with a smoky chocolate aroma
This premium JBM Blend will leave your taste buds totally satisfied. A complex flavor profile with a delicate spiciness, this coffee is rich and flavorful, leaving you with a smooth and never bitter finish. Uniquely handcrafted and roasted in small batches, this coffee blend won’t disappoint! Check them out here.
- RESPONSIBLY SOURCED: Cameron's is committed to 100% Responsibly Sourced Coffee from around the world
- ALWAYS SMOOTH, NEVER BITTER: (1) 4-Pound Bag of Whole Bean Coffee, specialty grade Arabica, Top 10% of beans in the world, Jamaica Blend
- FULL-BODIED MEDIUM-DARK ROAST: Jamaican coffee blended with Central & South American beans brings a complex flavor and delicate spiciness with hints of chocolate to fill your morning mug
- POSITIVELY FOCUSED: From the farmers we choose to work with, to the actions we take to reduce waste (like reducing water consumption in the roasting process). Cameron’s Coffee is a company committed to doing the right thing. We're here to Make Every Day Brighter
- CAMERON'S PUTS QUALITY FIRST: We choose only specialty grade Arabica, Top 10% of beans in the world, giving you a craveable cup of coffee that's never over-roasted
This is a perfect JBM Blend for Drip or pressed coffee. Made from 100% Arabica Coffee beans that are sourced from the Caribbean and central and south America. This coffee is smooth and full-bodied with a rich taste. Roasted in small batches to ensure the highest of quality. Check them out here.
These JBM Blend Single Serve Pods are an excellent choice for any coffee pod fanatic that likes to have a quick and delicious coffee. Unlike regular pods that use plastic, these pods use a real coffee filter which makes it better for the brew and the environment. Worth checking out! These pods are compatible with Keurig 2.0. Check them out here.
No products found.
So there you have it, everything you need to know about Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. While this coffee can be quite expensive, it’s important to keep in mind that the harvesting of this coffee requires an immense amount of hard labor and there is a lot of blood sweat and tears that goes into each and every cup that you brew.
IF YOU’VE ENJOYED THIS ARTICLE, GIVE IT A PIN!